blocky alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "DNS" category.
Alternatively, view blocky alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of blocky or a related project?
Blocky is a DNS proxy and ad-blocker for the local network written in Go with following features:
Blocking - Blocking of DNS queries with external lists (Ad-block, malware) and whitelisting
- Definition of black and white lists per client group (Kids, Smart home devices, etc.)
- Periodical reload of external black and white lists
- Regex support
- Blocking of request domain, response CNAME (deep CNAME inspection) and response IP addresses (against IP lists)
Advanced DNS configuration - not just an ad-blocker
- Custom DNS resolution for certain domain names
- Conditional forwarding to external DNS server
- Upstream resolvers can be defined per client group
Performance - Improves speed and performance in your network
- Customizable caching of DNS answers for queries -> improves DNS resolution speed and reduces amount of external DNS queries
- Prefetching and caching of often used queries
- Using multiple external resolver simultaneously
- Low memory footprint
Various Protocols - Supports modern DNS protocols
- DNS over UDP and TCP
- DNS over HTTPS (aka DoH)
- DNS over TLS (aka DoT)
Security and Privacy - Secure communication
- Supports modern DNS extensions: DNSSEC, eDNS, ...
- Free configurable blocking lists - no hidden filtering etc.
- Provides DoH Endpoint
- Uses random upstream resolvers from the configuration - increases you privacy though the distribution of your DNS traffic over multiple provider
- Blocky does NOT collect any user data, telemetry, statistics etc.
Integration - various integration
Simple configuration - single configuration file in YAML format
- Simple to maintain
- Simple to backup
Simple installation/configuration - blocky was designed for simple installation
- Stateless (no database, no temporary files)
- Docker image with Multi-arch support
- Single binary
- Supports x86-64 and ARM architectures -> runs fine on Raspberry PI
- Community supported Helm chart for k8s deployment
You can jump to Installation chapter in the documentation.
You can find full documentation and configuration examples at: https://0xERR0R.github.io/blocky/
Issues, feature suggestions and pull requests are welcome!