Tinode alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Synapse" category.
Alternatively, view Tinode alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Tinode or a related project?
Tinode Instant Messaging Server
Tinode is not XMPP/Jabber. It is not compatible with XMPP. It's meant as a replacement for XMPP. On the surface, it's a lot like open source WhatsApp or Telegram.
Version 0.20. This is beta-quality software: feature-complete and stable but probably with a few bugs or missing features. Follow [instructions](INSTALL.md) to install and run or use one of the cloud services below. Read [API documentation](docs/API.md).
The promise of XMPP was to deliver federated instant messaging: anyone would be able to spin up an IM server capable of exchanging messages with any other XMPP server in the world. Unfortunately, XMPP never delivered on this promise. Instant messengers are still a bunch of incompatible walled gardens, similar to what AoL of the late 1990s was to the open Internet.
The goal of this project is to deliver on XMPP's original vision: create a modern open platform for federated instant messaging with an emphasis on mobile communication. A secondary goal is to create a decentralized IM platform that is much harder to track and block by the governments.
An explicit NON-goal: we are not building yet another Slack replacement.
Installing and running
See [general instructions](./INSTALL.md) or [docker-specific instructions](./docker/README.md).
- Read [API documentation](docs/API.md) and [FAQ](docs/faq.md). Read configuration instructions contained in the [
- For support, general questions, discussions post to https://groups.google.com/d/forum/tinode.
- For bugs and feature requests open an issue.
- Use https://tinode.co/contact for commercial inquiries.
- If you appreciate our work, please help spread the word! Sharing on Reddit, HN, and other communities helps more than you think.
- Consider buying paid support: https://tinode.co/support.html
- If you are a software developer, send us your pull requests with bug fixes and new features.
- If you use the app and discover bugs or missing features, let us know by filing bug reports and feature requests. Vote for existing feature requests you find most valuable.
- If you speak a language other than English, [translate](docs/translations.md) the apps into your language. You may also review and improve existing translations.
- If you are a UI/UX expert, help us polish the app UI.
- Use it: install it for your colleagues or friends at work or at home.
A public Tinode service is now available. You can use it just like any other instant messenger. Keep in mind that demo accounts present in sandbox are not available in the public service. You must register an account using valid email in order to use the service.
A sandboxed demo service is available at https://sandbox.tinode.co/.
Log in as one of
frank. Password is
<login>123, e.g. login for
alice123. You can discover other users by email or phone by prefixing them with
tel: respectively. Emails are
[email protected], phones are
When you register a new account you are asked for an email address to send validation code to. For demo purposes you may use
123456 as a universal validation code. The code you get in the email is also valid.
- The sandbox server is reset (all data wiped) every night at 3:15am Pacific time. An error message
User not found or offlinemeans the server was reset while you were connected. If you see it on the web, reload and relogin. On Android log out and re-login. If the database was changed, delete the app then reinstall.
- Sandbox user
Tinois a [basic chatbot](./chatbot) which responds with a random quote to any message.
- As generally accepted, when you register a new account you are asked for an email address. The server will send an email with a verification code to that address and you can use it to validate the account. To make things easier for testing, the server will also accept
123456as a verification code. Remove line
tinode.confto disable this option.
- The sandbox server is configured to use ACME TLS implementation with hard-coded requirement for SNI. If you are unable to connect then the most likely reason is your TLS client's missing support for SNI. Use a different client.
- Docker images with the same demo are available.
- You are welcome to test your client software against the sandbox, hack it, etc. No DDoS-ing though please.
- Multiple native platforms:
- User features:
- One-on-one and group messaging. Voice messages.
- Video and audio calling.
- Channels with unlimited number of read-only subscribers.
- All chats are synchronized across all devices.
- Granular access control with permissions for various actions.
- User search/discovery.
- Rich formatting of messages markdown-style: *style* → style, with inline images, file attachments.
- Forms and templated responses suitable for chatbots.
- Verified/staff/untrusted account markers.
- Message status notifications: message delivery to server; received and read notifications; typing notifications.
- Most recent message preview in contact list.
- Server-generated presence notifications for people, group chats.
- Forwarding and replying to messages.
- Granular access control with permissions for various actions.
- Support for custom authentication backends.
- Ability to block unwanted communication server-side.
- Anonymous users (important for use cases related to tech support over chat).
- Plugins to extend functionality, for example, to support moderation or chatbots.
- Scriptable [command-line tool](tn-cli/) for server administration.
- Performance, reliability and development:
- Sharded clustering with failover.
- Storage and out of band transfer of large objects like images or document files using local file system or Amazon S3 (other storage systems can be supported with plugins).
- JSON or protobuf version 3 wire protocols.
- Bindings for various programming languages:
- Java with dependencies on Jackson and Java-Websocket. Suitable for Android but with no Android SDK dependencies.
- Swift with no external dependencies.
- C/C++, C#, Go, Python, PHP, Ruby and many other languages using gRPC.
- Choice of a database backend: MySQL, RethinkDB, MongoDB.
- Location sharing.
- Previews of attached videos, documents, links.
- Hot standby.
- Different levels of message persistence (from strict persistence to "store until delivered" to purely ephemeral messaging).
- Message encryption at rest.
- End to end encryption with OTR for one-on-one messaging and undecided method for group messaging.
- Full text search in messages.
All client software has support for [internationalization](docs/translations.md). The following translations are provided:
More translations are [welcome](docs/translations.md). Particularly interested in Arabic, Vietnamese, Persian, Indonesian, Portuguese, Hindi, Bengali, Turkish.
- Demo avatars and some other graphics are from https://www.pexels.com/ under CC0 license and https://pixabay.com/ under their license.
- Web and Android background patterns are from http://subtlepatterns.com/ under CC BY-SA 3.0 license.
- Android icons are from https://material.io/tools/icons/ under Apache 2.0 license.
Words 'chat' and 'instant messaging' in Chinese, Russian, Persian and a few other languages.
- 聊天室 即時通訊
- чат мессенджер
- 인스턴트 메신저
- پیام رسان فوری
- تراسل فوري
- Nhắn tin tức thời
- anlık mesajlaşma sohbet
- mensageiro instantâneo
- pesan instan
- mensajería instantánea
- চ্যাট ইন্সট্যান্ট মেসেজিং
- चैट त्वरित संदेश
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Tinode README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.