Family Accounting Tool alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Money, Budgeting and Management" category.
Alternatively, view Family Accounting Tool alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Family Accounting Tool or a related project?
Family Accounting Tool
Familiy Accounting Tool keeps track of every transaction your family makes. Its goal is to:
- Extract usefull statistics from the data E.g.: How much is spent on food each month?
- Calculate internal debt E.g.: Alice buys toilet paper for the whole family with her own money. This tool then registers that the family ows Alice the cost of the toilet paper.
- Provide a way to check if no money is disappearing in unexpected expenses E.g.: You will notice when there are hidden banking costs
Installation from release
- Download the latest release
- Unpack the archive and open a terminal in the unpacked folder
Run following commands to get the app running:
# Create database tables bin/server -DdropAndCreateNewDb # Create admin user bin/server -DcreateAdminUser # Run application bin/server
Browse to http://localhost:9000/app/useradministration (username: "admin", password: "changeme")
Installation with Docker
The following commands will launch a new server alongside a database in Docker containers:
# Get the docker-compose.yml file wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nymanjens/facto/master/docker-compose.yml # Choose a unique random string here of sufficient length export APPLICATION_SECRET="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' | fold -w 32 | head -n 1)" # Create an empty database with a single admin user docker-compose run web bin/server -DdropAndCreateNewDb docker-compose run web bin/server -DcreateAdminUser # Bring up the server docker-compose up
When done, browse to http://:9000/app/useradministration (username: "admin", password: "changeme")
conf/application.conf: Setup and configure a database here.
conf/accounting-config.yml: Edit this file to reflect your situation and preferences.
- Add users:
A default user is created with the
-DcreateAdminUserflag (username: admin, password: changeme). This account can create new users.
To effectively use this tool, you must learn to input the transactions correctly. Therefore, it's important to understand the meaning of categories and accounts.
These are used to split up your expenses into categories. Every account has some special special categories:
- Accounting category: Used for non-real income/expenses. This category will be ignored when analysing the montly surplus/deficit in terms of expenses. Use this category e.g. when the expense will be payed back by your employer
- Endowment category: Used for money transfer to the common account (see example in the next section)
An account can refer to a regular person or the common account.
A family has two members: Alice and Bob. There will be three accounts:
- The common account
Alice and Bob will regularly transfer money to the common account which can be used to make common expenses. This transfer to the common account is called an 'endowment'.
- Beneficiary: In case of an expense: The one that will benefit from the expense In case of an income: The one that was paid
- Payed with/to: In case of an expense: Payed with In case of an income: Payed to
- Flow: In case of an expense: Negative number representing the price In case of an income: Positive number
Using the Cash Flow overview effectively
The cash flow overview is a powerfull tool to check for unaccounted expenses.
- Set the current amount of money you have for every payment method (cash, card, ...). You can do this by using the "set" button.
- Whenever you perform a transaction, the balance will be updated automatically.
- You can re-count your cash and see if it matches the calculated value. If it does, you can use the checkbox button to mark this. If it doesn't, you have made an error or lost money.