Firefly III alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Money, Budgeting and Management" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Firefly III or a related project?
<!-- PROJECT LOGO --> Firefly III
A free and open source personal finance manager Explore the docs » View Demo · Report Bug · Request Feature
<!-- MarkdownTOC autolink="true" -->
- About Firefly III
- Getting Started
<!-- /MarkdownTOC -->
About Firefly III
"Firefly III" is a (self-hosted) manager for your personal finances. It can help you keep track of your expenses and income, so you can spend less and save more. Firefly III supports the use of budgets, categories and tags. It can import data from external sources and it has many neat financial reports available.
Firefly III should give you insight into and control over your finances. Money should be useful, not scary. You should be able to see where it is going, to feel your expenses and to... wow, I'm going overboard with this aren't I?
But you get the idea: this is your money. These are your expenses. Stop them from controlling you. I built this tool because I started to dislike money. Having money, not having money, paying bills with money, you get the idea. But no more. I want to feel "safe", whatever my balance is. And I hope this tool can help you. I know it helps me.
Personal financial management is pretty difficult, and everybody has their own approach to it. Some people make budgets, other people limit their cashflow by throwing away their credit cards, others try to increase their current cashflow. There are tons of ways to save and earn money. Firefly III works on the principle that if you know where your money is going, you can stop it from going there.
By keeping track of your expenses and your income you can budget accordingly and save money. Stop living from paycheck to paycheck but give yourself the financial wiggle room you need.
You can read more about this in the documentation.
Firefly III is pretty feature packed. Some important stuff first:
- It is completely self-hosted and isolated, and will never contact external servers until you explicitly tell it to.
- It features a REST JSON API that covers almost every part of Firefly III.
The most exciting features are:
- Create recurring transactions to manage your money
- Rule based transaction handling with the ability to create your own rules
- Import data from external systems
Then the things that make you go "yeah OK, makes sense".
- A double-entry bookkeeping system
- Save towards a goal using piggy banks
- View income and expense reports
And the things you would hope for but not expect:
- 2 factor authentication for extra security 🔒
- Supports any currency you want, including crypto currencies such as ₿itcoin and Ξthereum
- There is a Docker image and an Heroku script.
And to organise everything:
- Clear views that should show you how you're doing
- Easy navigation through your records
- Lots of charts because we all love them
Many more features are listed in the documentation.
Who's it for?
This application is for people who want to track their finances, keep an eye on their money without having to upload their financial records to the cloud. You're a bit tech-savvy, you like open source software and you don't mind tinkering with (self-hosted) servers.
The Firefly III eco-system
Several users have built pretty awesome stuff around the Firefly III API. Check out these tools:
- An Android app by Mike Conway
- A Telegram bot by Igor Tsupko
- An Android app by Daniel Quah
- A tool to import from Plaid by George Hahn
There are many ways to run Firefly III
- There is a demo site with an example financial administration already present.
- You can install it on your server.
- You can run it using Docker.
- You can install it using Softaculous. These guys even have made another demo site!
- You can install it using AMPPS.
- You can install it on Cloudron.
- You can install it on Lando.
Your help is always welcome! Feel free to open issues, ask questions, talk about it and discuss this tool. I've created several social media accounts and I invite you to follow them, tweet at them and post to them. There's reddit and Twitter.
Support the development of Firefly III
If you like Firefly III and if it helps you save lots of money, why not send me a dime for every dollar saved! :tada:
I'm also very proud to be a part of the GitHub Sponsors Program. Use their program if you can; they'll double your donation!
Thank you for considering donating to Firefly III!
Over time, many people have contributed to Firefly III.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Firefly III README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.