Kong alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "API Management" category.
Alternatively, view Kong alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
Postwoman9.9 8.6 Kong VS Postwoman👽 Open source API development ecosystem - https://hoppscotch.io
Hasura9.8 9.5 Kong VS HasuraBlazing fast, instant realtime GraphQL APIs on your DB with fine grained access control, also trigger webhooks on database events.
Tyk8.9 9.1 Kong VS TykTyk Open Source API Gateway written in Go, supporting REST, GraphQL, TCP and gRPC protocols
API Platform8.8 6.9 Kong VS API PlatformCreate REST and GraphQL APIs, scaffold Jamstack webapps, stream changes in real-time.
KrakenD8.2 6.8 Kong VS KrakenDUltra performant API Gateway with middlewares. A project hosted at The Linux Foundation
DreamFactory6.2 5.9 L5 Kong VS DreamFactoryDreamFactory API Management Platform
Pizzly5.7 3.3 Kong VS PizzlyThe simplest, fastest way to integrate your app with an OAuth API
Hapttic2.7 0.0 Kong VS Hapttic:fast_forward: Hapttic is a simple HTTP server that forwards all requests to a shell script.
Endpoint2.4 0.0 L4 Kong VS EndpointSuper simple mock HTTP API endpoints that return static JSON data, for testing webhooks and client libraries in development.
Clean code begins in your IDE with SonarLint
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Kong or a related project?
Kong or Kong API Gateway is a cloud-native, platform-agnostic, scalable API Gateway distinguished for its high performance and extensibility via plugins.
By providing functionality for proxying, routing, load balancing, health checking, authentication (and more), Kong serves as the central layer for orchestrating microservices or conventional API traffic with ease.
Kong runs natively on Kubernetes thanks to its official Kubernetes Ingress Controller.
Installation | Documentation | Discussions | Forum | Blog | Builds
Let’s test drive Kong by adding authentication to an API in under 5 minutes.
We suggest using the docker-compose distribution via the instructions below, but there is also a docker installation procedure if you’d prefer to run the Kong API Gateway in DB-less mode.
Whether you’re running in the cloud, on bare metal, or using containers, you can find every supported distribution on our official installation page.
1) To start, clone the Docker repository and navigate to the compose folder.
$ git clone https://github.com/Kong/docker-kong $ cd docker-kong/compose/
1) Start the Gateway stack using:
$ KONG_DATABASE=postgres docker-compose --profile database up
The Gateway will be available on the following ports on localhost:
:8000 on which Kong listens for incoming HTTP traffic from your clients, and forwards it to your upstream services.
:8001 on which the Admin API used to configure Kong listens.
Next, follow the quick start guide to tour the Gateway features.
By centralizing common API functionality across all your organization's services, the Kong API Gateway creates more freedom for engineering teams to focus on the challenges that matter most.
The top Kong features include:
- Advanced routing, load balancing, health checking - all configurable via a RESTful admin API or declarative configuration.
- Authentication and authorization for APIs using methods like JWT, basic auth, OAuth, ACLs and more.
- Proxy, SSL/TLS termination, and connectivity support for L4 or L7 traffic.
- Plugins for enforcing traffic controls, rate limiting, req/res transformations, logging, monitoring and including a plugin developer hub.
- Sophisticated deployment models like Declarative Databaseless Deployment and Hybrid Deployment (control plane/data plane separation) without any vendor lock-in.
- Native ingress controller support for serving Kubernetes.
Plugins provide advanced functionality that extends the use of the Gateway. Many of the Kong Inc. and community-developed plugins like AWS Lambda, Correlation ID, and Response Transformer are showcased at the Plugin Hub.
Contribute to the Plugin Hub and ensure your next innovative idea is published and available to the broader community!
We ❤️ pull requests, and we’re continually working hard to make it as easy as possible for developers to contribute. Before beginning development with the Kong API Gateway, please familiarize yourself with the following developer resources:
- Contributor Guide ([CONTRIBUTING.md](CONTRIBUTING.md)) to learn about how to contribute to Kong.
- Development Guide ([DEVELOPER.md](DEVELOPER.md)): Setting up your development environment.
- [CODE_OF_CONDUCT](CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md) and [COPYRIGHT](COPYRIGHT)
Please see the [Changelog](CHANGELOG.md) for more details about a given release. The SemVer Specification is followed when versioning Gateway releases.
Join the Community
- Join the Kong discussions at the Kong Nation forum: https://discuss.konghq.com/
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thekonginc
- Check out the docs: https://docs.konghq.com/
- Keep updated on YouTube by subscribing: https://www.youtube.com/c/KongInc/videos
- Read up on the latest happenings at our blog: https://konghq.com/blog/
- Visit our homepage to learn more: https://konghq.com/
Kong Inc. offers commercial subscriptions that enhance the Kong API Gateway in a variety of ways. Customers of Kong's Konnect Cloud subscription take advantage of additional gateway functionality, commercial support, and access to Kong's managed (SaaS) control plane platform. The Konnect Cloud platform features include real-time analytics, a service catalog, developer portals, and so much more! Get started with Konnect Cloud.
Copyright 2016-2022 Kong Inc. Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Kong README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.