Lemmy alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Social Networks and Forums" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Lemmy or a related project?
Lemmy A link aggregator / reddit clone for the fediverse. View Site · Documentation · Report Bug · Request Feature · Releases
About The Project
Lemmy is similar to sites like Reddit, Lobste.rs, Raddle, or Hacker News: you subscribe to forums you're interested in, post links and discussions, then vote, and comment on them. Behind the scenes, it is very different; anyone can easily run a server, and all these servers are federated (think email), and connected to the same universe, called the Fediverse.
For a link aggregator, this means a user registered on one server can subscribe to forums on any other server, and can have discussions with users registered elsewhere.
The overall goal is to create an easily self-hostable, decentralized alternative to reddit and other link aggregators, outside of their corporate control and meddling.
Each lemmy server can set its own moderation policy; appointing site-wide admins, and community moderators to keep out the trolls, and foster a healthy, non-toxic environment where all can feel comfortable contributing.
Note: Federation is still in active development
Why's it called Lemmy?
- Lead singer from Motörhead.
- The old school video game.
- The Koopa from Super Mario.
- The furry rodents.
- Open source, AGPL License.
- Self hostable, easy to deploy.
- Clean, mobile-friendly interface.
- Only a minimum of a username and password is required to sign up!
- User avatar support.
- Live-updating Comment threads.
- Full vote scores
(+/-)like old reddit.
- Themes, including light, dark, and solarized.
- Emojis with autocomplete support. Start typing
- User tagging using
@, Community tagging using
- Integrated image uploading in both posts and comments.
- A post can consist of a title and any combination of self text, a URL, or nothing else.
- Notifications, on comment replies and when you're tagged.
- Notifications can be sent via email.
- Private messaging support.
- i18n / internationalization support.
- RSS / Atom feeds for
- Cross-posting support.
- A similar post search when creating new posts. Great for question / answer communities.
- Moderation abilities.
- Public Moderation Logs.
- Can sticky posts to the top of communities.
- Both site admins, and community moderators, who can appoint other moderators.
- Can lock, remove, and restore posts and comments.
- Can ban and unban users from communities and the site.
- Can transfer site and communities to others.
- Can fully erase your data, replacing all posts and comments.
- NSFW post / community support.
- OEmbed support via Iframely.
- High performance.
- Server is written in rust.
- Front end is
- Supports arm64 / Raspberry Pi.
Support / Donate
Lemmy is free, open-source software, meaning no advertising, monetizing, or venture capital, ever. Your donations directly support full-time development of the project.
If you want to help with translating, take a look at Weblate.
Logo made by Andy Cuccaro (@andycuccaro) under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Lemmy README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.