novaGallery is a free PHP image gallery that works right out of the box and looks beautiful. Modern, mobile-friendly responsive design, uncomplicated management for your images and beautiful presentation in the web. It's very easy to set up and does not require a database (flat file). Automatic thumbnails are generated and for fast performance novaGallery has a simple but effective caching mechanism. Images can be managed in sub-albums for optimal sorting. Thus, even a large stock of photos, can be presented nicely and clearly. To keep the photos private and show them only to selected people, the entire PHP photo gallery can be protected with a password (private mode).
The usage is really easy. Upload images via regular ways (e.g. via FTP) to the web server and novaGallery automatically creates albums & thumbnails.
The image gallery already contains a theme/template, which is best designed for focusing and presenting photos. It's easy to create an own theme.
novaGallery alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Photo and Video Galleries" category.
Alternatively, view novagallery alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
7.8 9.3 novaGallery VS OwnPhotosA self-hosted open source photo management service. This is the repository of the backend.
7.8 9.3 novaGallery VS LibrePhotosA self-hosted open source photo management service. This is the repository of the backend.
6.9 9.5 L2 novaGallery VS PiwigoManage your photos with Piwigo, a full featured open source photo gallery application for the web. Star us on Github! More than 200 plugins and themes available. Join us and contribute!
5.9 0.0 L4 novaGallery VS MediaDropA video, audio and podcast publication platform written in Python.
5.8 8.3 novaGallery VS PhotonixA modern, web-based photo management server. Run it on your home server and it will let you find the right photo from your collection on any device. Smart filtering is made possible by object recognition, face recognition, location awareness, color analysis and other ML algorithms.
5.1 0.0 L3 novaGallery VS GalleryThe simplest, most intuitive way to host your photos on your website.
4.2 9.1 novaGallery VS PhotoviewPhoto gallery for self-hosted personal servers [Moved to: https://github.com/photoview/photoview]
3.7 0.0 novaGallery VS UberGalleryAn easy to use, simple to manage, web photo gallery written in PHP.
2.4 5.9 L1 novaGallery VS CoppermineMultilingual photo gallery that integrates with various bulletin boards. Includes upload approval and password protected albumns.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of novaGallery or a related project?
novaGallery is a beautiful php image gallery with the focus on your images, trimmed for ease of use and low demands on web space. You just need a webserver with PHP 7.X support. No database is required. Simple to use, easy customizable and beautiful.
Official Product Page: novaGallery.org
- Albums: Directories are rendered as albums
- Sub-Albums: Can be used for more detailed organisation
- Preview images for albums: Automatically generate an album preview image
- Photo overview: All photos are displayed sorted by creation date or name
- Lightbox: View your photos in large format, hiding everything that is distracting
- Slideshow: All photos in an album, can be displayed and presented via click (or keyboard) in the lightbox view
- Use your own upload method: Simply upload the photos into the gallery folder (e.g. via FTP) and the photos are already online
- Thumbnails: Automatic generation of thumbnails
- File compression: Photos with high file size, are automatically compressed with very little loss.
- JPEG & PNG: JPG and PNG images are supported.
- Custom Themes: With just a little knowledge of CSS and HTML, the look can be customized.
- Languages: You can run the gallery in your langauage
- Private Mode: You can set a password to protect your gallery from public access.
- Apache web server or similar
- PHP 7.X
- PHP-GD Extension
- PHP Exif Support
- Download latest version: Download novaGallery (latest version)
- Unzip files
- Upload files to your webspace
- Edit the config in
- Upload your photos into galleries
- Enjoy your new photo gallery
- Every folder in galleries is a gallery
nova-config/site.phpyou can change some basic informations, image sizes and cache settings
- That's it :-)
- Add Photos: Just upload the new photo to the server into the correct album (e.g via FTP)
- Delete a Photos: Just delete the photo at the server. To save web space it's recommended to delete the cached files also.
- Delete an Album: Just delete the whole album (directory) at the server
- Reset Cache: Every album has a cache directory. Just delete this directory.
- Two basic themes are included: novagallery (default, dark) and novagallery-light
- To change the theme, just change the theme name in
- Creating a new template is quite simple and works with basic PHP without any extra template engine.
- To create a new template, the basic template (based on Bootstrap 4) can be duplicated, customized and activated in the settings.
- Some populare languages are already added (English, German, Spanisch, French)
- Set your language in
- You can create easily your own language. Just copy one of the language files, translate it and save it with your language code
- It would be nice, if you let us know if you created a new language file. Just send us a message or create a pull request.
nova-config/site.phpyou can set a PHP password hash
- The password hash has to be created with the standard PHP function
- If you can't generate a password hash by your own, you can use our password hash generator: Password Hash Generator
Nice to Know
- Supported images: JPEG & PNG
- At the first time an album is opened, the thumbnails are generated. This may take a little time. After that the cached images are used for each visit.
- If you don't use an apache2 web server with .htaccess support (e.g. nginx), you have to set the required rewrite rules from the .htaccess file at the webserver config
- For support just open a ticket: novaGallery Support
We are open to ideas, improvements and bug fixes. Just create a pull request with your improvements and optimizations. If everything is okay and it fits to our product vision, we will be pleased to merge it.
We are very grateful to the creators of the following great packages that we use for novaGallery:
- Some concepts are inspired by the wonderful flat file CMS Bludit
Copyright & License
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the novaGallery README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.