RERO ILS alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Calibre" category.
Alternatively, view RERO ILS alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
Calibre Web8.9 5.9 RERO ILS VS Calibre Web:books: Web app for browsing, reading and downloading eBooks stored in a Calibre database
Polar Bookshelf8.1 10.0 RERO ILS VS Polar BookshelfPolar is a personal knowledge repository for PDF and web content supporting incremental reading and document annotation.
DSpace7.1 9.8 RERO ILS VS DSpace(Official) The DSpace digital asset management system that powers your Institutional Repository
Komga6.7 7.7 RERO ILS VS KomgaMedia server for comics/mangas/BDs with API and OPDS support
Mango5.8 6.2 RERO ILS VS MangoMango is a self-hosted manga server and web reader
BicBucStriim4.2 0.0 RERO ILS VS BicBucStriimBicBucStriim streams books, digital books. It fills a gap in the functionality of current NAS devices that provide access to music, videos and photos -- but not books. BicBucStriim fills this gap and provides web-based access to your e-book collection.
Samvera Hyrax4.0 9.6 RERO ILS VS Samvera HyraxHyrax is a Ruby on Rails Engine built by the Samvera community. Hyrax provides a foundation for creating many different digital repository applications.
Fedora Commons RepositoryFedora Repository
LibreRead3.9 9.0 RERO ILS VS LibreReadSelf-hosted Web-based e-book reader.
Islandora3.8 0.0 RERO ILS VS IslandoraDrupal modules for browsing and managing Fedora-based digital repositories.
EPrints2.9 0.0 RERO ILS VS EPrintsEPrints 3.3 core and releases
The EpubeSelf-hosted web EPUB reader using EPUB.js, Bootstrap, and Calibre.
Clean code begins in your IDE with SonarLint
Do you think we are missing an alternative of RERO ILS or a related project?
<!-- PROJECT LOGO -->
The elegant solution for heritage, public and school libraries or networks. Live Demo » · User docs » · Developer docs » Website · Report Bug · Request Feature
<!-- TABLE OF CONTENTS --> Table of Contents About The Project RERO ILS Built with Usage Demo Features Use RERO ILS Getting started Install The ecosystem Contributing License Contact
About the project
RERO ILS is a new generation open source integrated library system developed in Switzerland by RERO+ in collaboration with the Catholic University of Leuven (UCLouvain). It allows the management of library networks or independent libraries (document acquisition, circulation, cataloguing, search) and offers a public interface for users.
RERO ILS has been under heavy development since 2017 as a replacement for RERO network's legacy software. Its first major release (
v1.0.0) was published at the end of 2020. The first real-life production instance has been live since June 2021. Since then, it is being actively maintained and developed by a committed team from Switzerland and Belgium, in order to improve upon its current features and satisfy its users' needs.
(back to top)
To explore the system, you can try the test instance or take a look at one of the production instances: RERO+ network (live since Summer 2021) and UCLouvain network (live since early 2022).
- :globe_with_meridians: Consortial model: built primarily for library networks, large or small, with several levels of configuration included (organization, library).
- :books: Cataloguing and serial management: modern cataloguing editor in compliance with current standards (RDA, BibFrame); in-depth management of periodicals, subscriptions, and issue predictions.
- :computer: Online catalog: public online catalog with simple but powerful search and filtering functions; customizable views by organization and library; seamless integration of resources from external platforms (ebooks, databases, etc.).
- :book: Circulation module: perform all the operations required by libraries: check-out, check-in, item requests, interlibrary loans, patron management, in a modern, fast and ergonomic web interface.
- :arrows_clockwise: Data interaction and openness: JSON formatted bibliographic data Bibframe model with a powerful API to interact with the database.
Use RERO ILS
RERO ILS is open source and can be can be deployed and hosted by anyone, provided they can afford the required configuration or development effort. It can also be hosted as a service by RERO+ for any interested library or organisation.
The user documentation for RERO ILS is hosted on flask-wiki.
(back to top)
- The installation process is described in a [specific file](INSTALL.rst).
- To run a development environment you can check this documentation.
Three GitHub repositories for RERO ILS
The rero-ils GitHub project contains the main project for RERO ILS, basically providing the
invenio backend. To work on the frontend of the project, you also need rero-ils-ui, which is based on ng-core.
The MEF (Multilingual Entity File), provides authorities (or entities) to RERO ILS, in two languages: French and German (for now). This is used to link documents to controlled descriptions of authors and subjects. MEF can aggregate multiple authority files, such as IdRef and GND. These authority files are then aligned through VIAF, thus providing multilingual authorities.
As a result, in order to run RERO ILS, you need to either use our public MEF server, or run your own.
RERO ILS customers make use of 3rd-party ebook commercial platforms. A dedicated server has been set up for harvesting ebook metadata from those platforms, convert them to RERO ILS's own data model. RERO ILS harvests our ebooks server, importing the metadata into the union catalog, assigning each ebook to the corresponding subscribing libraries.
This server is not publicly accessible but the source code is available on GitHub: rero-ebooks.
You need to prevent your RERO ILS instance to harvest RERO's ebooks server, but you can run your own ebooks server.
(back to top)
Any contribution is greatly appreciated!
- To contribute to the code itself, please check the contributing recommandations.
- The developer-resources Github project provides all kinds of references related to Invenio applications, more specifically RERO ILS.
- Found a bug or want to suggest a feature or an enhancement? Open an issue.
- Want to help with the translation of the project? Visit our Weblate project.
(back to top)
Distributed under the GNU Affero General Public License. See [
LICENSE](LICENSE) for more information.
(back to top)
- If you have questions, you can ask the development team on Gitter.
- In case of a security issue, please contact the e-mail address provided in the security policy.
(back to top)
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the RERO ILS README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.