RSS Monster alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "RSSminer" category.
Alternatively, view RSS Monster alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
7.2 8.8 L3 RSS Monster VS Selfossmultipurpose rss reader, live stream, mashup, aggregation web application
1.5 7.4 RSS Monster VS html2rss-web🕸 Builds and serves RSS feeds via HTTP. Generate your own feeds or start instantly with the included configs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of RSS Monster or a related project?
Copyright (c) 2021 Piethein Strengholt, [email protected]
- NodeJS 14.x or higher
- A Mysql installation (other databases will as well with some configuration)
How to get everything installed
- Clone this repository
git clone https://github.com/pietheinstrengholt/rssmonster.git .
npm installin both the
- Find the
.env.examplefile in the root of both the
serverfolder. Copy and rename the files to
serverfolder and enter your Mysql or Database server login data (at least fill DB_DATABASE, DB_USERNAME and DB_PASSWORD).
clientfolder. Change the VUE_APP_HOSTNAME so it points to the back-end.
./node_modules/.bin/sequelize db:migrate && ./node_modules/.bin/sequelize db:seed:allin side the
serverfolder. this will add all needed database tables and content to your mysql database. Alternatively you can also uncomment the
//force:true in the app.js inside the server folder to create the schema structure.
- Optional: Add a cronjob to crawl http://localhost/api/crawl every 5 minutes.
If you would like to run RSSMonster in development mode I recommend to run:
- Inside the client folder:
npm run serve.
- Inside the server folder:
npm run debug.
If you would like to run RSSMonster in production mode I recommend to run:
- Update the
VUE_APP_HOSTNAMEinside the file
client/.env. Most likely you want to remove port 3000 and point to the url where the backend will be running.
- Inside the client folder build all the static files with:
npm run build.
- Move the
distoutput folder created inside the
clientfolder to the
serverfolder. The NodeJS server is also capable of serving out static content.
- Inside the server folder:
npm run start.
Docker for development
- Run the following command to build all the images:
- Run the following command to start the containers:
- The client will be running on port 8080 and communication with the backend takes place via 3000. Make sure these ports aren't being used. The mysql database is accessible via port 3307.
Docker for production
The production version has the server and client combined into a single container. The VueJS is also compiled into an optimized version. To build this single image, run the following command:
docker build -t rssmonster .
Lastly you need to run the docker container. You need to provide the correct environment variables for the database server to connect to. Here's is an example:
docker run -d -t -i -e NODE_ENV=production -e DB_HOSTNAME=localhost -e DB_DATABASE=rssmonster -e DB_USERNAME=rssmonser -e DB_PASSWORD=password -p 3000:3000 rssmonster
- Setup your AWS Security credentials: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/aws-sec-cred-types.html
- Download and install the Beanstalk CLI: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/elasticbeanstalk/latest/dg/eb-cli3.html
- Run the following command:
- Select your region and use the aws-access-id & aws-secret-key from step 1.
- Provision a new environment:
eb create rssmonster-app --envvars "NODE_ENV=production" --database --database.engine mysql --database.username rssmonster --database.password "fvX2Ht8jXxXEYlZ6"
- SSH into the new environment:
eb ssh rssmonster-app
- Migrate the database content:
/app/server/node_modules/.bin/sequelize db:migrate && /app/server/node_modules/.bin/sequelize db:seed:all
Reeder (iOS) integration support (via Fever API)
RSSMonster is compatible with the Fever API. Apps like Reeder (iOS) will support this. To use the Reeder API (http://feedafever.com/api), point to the following url:
Any username and password will work.
The following scripts and plug-ins are used within RSSMonster
- NodeJS https://nodejs.org/en/
- Twitter bootstrap: https://twitter.github.io/bootstrap/
- Feedparser: https://github.com/danmactough/node-feedparser/
- VueJS: https://vuejs.org/
- Vue infinite scrolling: https://github.com/PeachScript/vue-infinite-loading
- Waypoints: https://github.com/imakewebthings/waypoints
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the RSS Monster README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.