Traefik alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Proxy" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Traefik or a related project?
Traefik (pronounced traffic) is a modern HTTP reverse proxy and load balancer that makes deploying microservices easy. Traefik integrates with your existing infrastructure components (Docker, Swarm mode, Kubernetes, Marathon, Consul, Etcd, Rancher, Amazon ECS, ...) and configures itself automatically and dynamically. Pointing Traefik at your orchestrator should be the only configuration step you need.
:warning: Please be aware that the old configurations for Traefik v1.x are NOT compatible with the v2.x config as of now. If you're running v2, please ensure you are using a v2 configuration.
Imagine that you have deployed a bunch of microservices with the help of an orchestrator (like Swarm or Kubernetes) or a service registry (like etcd or consul). Now you want users to access these microservices, and you need a reverse proxy.
Traditional reverse-proxies require that you configure each route that will connect paths and subdomains to each microservice. In an environment where you add, remove, kill, upgrade, or scale your services many times a day, the task of keeping the routes up to date becomes tedious.
This is when Traefik can help you!
Traefik listens to your service registry/orchestrator API and instantly generates the routes so your microservices are connected to the outside world -- without further intervention from your part.
Run Traefik and let it do the work for you! (But if you'd rather configure some of your routes manually, Traefik supports that too!)
- Continuously updates its configuration (No restarts!)
- Supports multiple load balancing algorithms
- Provides HTTPS to your microservices by leveraging Let's Encrypt (wildcard certificates support)
- Circuit breakers, retry
- See the magic through its clean web UI
- Websocket, HTTP/2, GRPC ready
- Provides metrics (Rest, Prometheus, Datadog, Statsd, InfluxDB)
- Keeps access logs (JSON, CLF)
- Exposes a Rest API
- Packaged as a single binary file (made with :heart: with go) and available as a tiny official docker image
To get your hands on Traefik, you can use the 5-Minute Quickstart in our documentation (you will need Docker).
You can access the simple HTML frontend of Traefik.
[Web UI Providers](docs/content/assets/img/webui-dashboard.png)
You can find the complete documentation of Traefik v2 at https://docs.traefik.io.
If you are using Traefik v1, you can find the complete documentation at https://docs.traefik.io/v1.7/
A collection of contributions around Traefik can be found at https://awesome.traefik.io.
To get community support, you can:
- Or use the official tiny Docker image and run it with the sample configuration file:
docker run -d -p 8080:8080 -p 80:80 -v $PWD/traefik.toml:/etc/traefik/traefik.toml traefik
- Or get the sources:
git clone https://github.com/containous/traefik
You can find high level and deep dive videos on videos.containo.us
[Information about process and maintainers](docs/content/contributing/maintainers.md)
If you'd like to contribute to the project, refer to the [contributing documentation](CONTRIBUTING.md).
Please note that this project is released with a [Contributor Code of Conduct](CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md). By participating in this project, you agree to abide by its terms.
- We release a new version (e.g. 1.1.0, 1.2.0, 1.3.0) every other month.
- Release Candidates are available before the release (e.g. 1.1.0-rc1, 1.1.0-rc2, 1.1.0-rc3, 1.1.0-rc4, before 1.1.0)
- Bug-fixes (e.g. 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.3) are released as needed (no additional features are delivered in those versions, bug-fixes only)
Each version is supported until the next one is released (e.g. 1.1.x will be supported until 1.2.0 is out)
We use Semantic Versioning
- General announcements, new releases: mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or on the online viewer
- Security announcements: mail at email@example.com or on the online viewer.
Kudos to Peka for his awesome work on the logo [logo](docs/content/assets/img/traefik.icon.png).
Traefik's logo is licensed under the Creative Commons 3.0 Attributions license.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Traefik README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.