Trilium Notes alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Note-taking and Editors" category.
Alternatively, view Trilium Notes alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
9.6 2.2 Trilium Notes VS BoostnoteThis repository is outdated and new Boost Note app is available! We've launched a new Boost Note app which supports real-time collaborative writing. https://github.com/BoostIO/BoostNote-App
7.1 9.7 Trilium Notes VS HedgeDocHedgeDoc - The best platform to write and share markdown.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Trilium Notes or a related project?
Trilium Notes is a hierarchical note taking application with focus on building large personal knowledge bases. See screenshots for quick overview:
- Notes can be arranged into arbitrarily deep tree. Single note can be placed into multiple places in the tree (see cloning)
- Rich WYSIWYG note editing including e.g. tables, images and math with markdown autoformat
- Support for editing notes with source code, including syntax highlighting
- Fast and easy navigation between notes, full text search and note hoisting
- Seamless note versioning
- Note attributes can be used for note organization, querying and advanced scripting
- Synchronization with self-hosted sync server
- Strong note encryption with per-note granularity
- Relation maps and link maps for visualizing notes and their relations
- Scripting - see Advanced showcases
- Scales well in both usability and performance upwards of 100 000 notes
- Touch optimized mobile frontend for smartphones and tablets
- Night theme
- Evernote and Markdown import & export
- Web Clipper for easy saving of web content
Trilium is provided as either desktop application (Linux and Windows) or web application hosted on your server (Linux). Mac OS desktop build is available, but it is unsupported.
- If you want to use Trilium on the desktop, download binary release for your platform from latest release, unzip the package and run
- If you want to install Trilium on server, follow this page.
- Currently only recent Chrome and Firefox are supported (tested) browsers.
You can also read Patterns of personal knowledge base to get some inspiration on how you might use Trilium.
Use a browser based dev environment
Or clone locally and run
npm install npm run start-server
- CKEditor 5 - best WYSIWYG editor on the market, very interactive and listening team
- FancyTree - very feature rich tree library without real competition. Trilium Notes would not be the same without it.
- CodeMirror - code editor with support for huge amount of languages
- jsPlumb - visual connectivity library without competition. Used in relation maps and link maps
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Trilium Notes README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.