Trilium Notes alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Note-taking and Editors" category.
Alternatively, view Trilium Notes alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
Joplin9.8 9.5 Trilium Notes VS JoplinJoplin - an open source note taking and to-do application with synchronisation capabilities for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android and iOS.
Boostnote9.5 0.0 Trilium Notes VS BoostnoteThis repository is outdated and new Boost Note app is available! We've launched a new Boost Note app which supports real-time collaborative writing. https://github.com/BoostIO/BoostNote-App
HedgeDoc7.6 9.3 Trilium Notes VS HedgeDocHedgeDoc - The best platform to write and share markdown.
Dnote6.7 3.8 Trilium Notes VS DnoteA simple command line notebook for programmers
Writing5.3 2.8 Trilium Notes VS WritingWriting is a lightweight distraction-free text editor, in the browser (Markdown and LaTeX supported).
DailyNotes4.4 0.0 Trilium Notes VS DailyNotesApp for taking notes and tracking tasks on a daily basis
Wreeto3.6 0.0 Trilium Notes VS WreetoWreeto is an open source note-taking, knowledge management and wiki system.
Plainpad2.7 5.8 Trilium Notes VS Plainpad📓 Plainpad - Self Hosted Note Taking App
Oddmuse2.0 1.0 Trilium Notes VS OddmuseA simple wiki engine written in Perl. No database required.
BulletNotesWorkflowy / Dynalist clone with Kanban
DocPHTWith DocPHT you can take notes and quickly document anything and without the use of any database.
Clean code begins in your IDE with SonarLint
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Trilium Notes or a related project?
Trilium Notes is a hierarchical note taking application with focus on building large personal knowledge bases. See screenshots for quick overview:
Ukraine is currently defending itself from Russian aggression, please consider donating to Ukrainian Army or humanitarian charities.
- Notes can be arranged into arbitrarily deep tree. Single note can be placed into multiple places in the tree (see cloning)
- Rich WYSIWYG note editing including e.g. tables, images and math with markdown autoformat
- Support for editing notes with source code, including syntax highlighting
- Fast and easy navigation between notes, full text search and note hoisting
- Seamless note versioning
- Note attributes can be used for note organization, querying and advanced scripting
- Synchronization with self-hosted sync server
- Sharing (publishing) notes to public internet
- Strong note encryption with per-note granularity
- Sketching diagrams with built-in Excalidraw (note type "canvas")
- Relation maps and link maps for visualizing notes and their relations
- Scripting - see Advanced showcases
- REST API for automation
- Scales well in both usability and performance upwards of 100 000 notes
- Touch optimized mobile frontend for smartphones and tablets
- Night theme
- Evernote and Markdown import & export
- Web Clipper for easy saving of web content
Trilium is provided as either desktop application (Linux and Windows) or web application hosted on your server (Linux). Mac OS desktop build is available, but it is unsupported.
- If you want to use Trilium on the desktop, download binary release for your platform from latest release, unzip the package and run
- If you want to install Trilium on server, follow this page.
- Currently only recent Chrome and Firefox are supported (tested) browsers.
Trilium is also provided as a Flatpak:
See wiki for complete list of documentation pages.
You can also read Patterns of personal knowledge base to get some inspiration on how you might use Trilium.
Use a browser based dev environment
Or clone locally and run
npm install npm run start-server
- CKEditor 5 - best WYSIWYG editor on the market, very interactive and listening team
- FancyTree - very feature rich tree library without real competition. Trilium Notes would not be the same without it.
- CodeMirror - code editor with support for huge amount of languages
- jsPlumb - visual connectivity library without competition. Used in relation maps and link maps
You can donate using GitHub Sponsors, PayPal or Bitcoin (bitcoin:bc1qv3svjn40v89mnkre5vyvs2xw6y8phaltl385d2).
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Trilium Notes README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.