This web app is available on https://app.standardnotes.org.
For more information on Standard Notes, see https://standardnotes.org.
Standard Notes alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Note-taking & Editors" category.
Alternatively, view Standard Notes alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
8.9 0.0 L5 Standard Notes VS PaperworkPaperwork - OpenSource note-taking & archiving alternative to Evernote, Microsoft OneNote & Google Keep
8.9 2.3 Standard Notes VS HackMDCodiMD - Realtime collaborative markdown notes on all platforms.
2.6 3.7 Standard Notes VS DocPHT 📑With DocPHT you can take notes and quickly document anything and without the use of any database.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Standard Notes or a related project?
A safe and private place for your life's work.
Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app available on most platforms, including Web, Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. It focuses on simplicity, and encrypts data locally before it ever touches a cloud. This means no one can read your notes but you (not even us).
Why Standard Notes?
- Simple and easy to use
- Fast and encrypted cross-platform sync
- Free sync on unlimited devices
- Extensible with editors (such as Markdown and Code), themes, and components. Learn more.
- Open-source and the option to self-host your notes server. You can host your own Standard Server in a few easy steps.
- A strong focus on longevity and sustainability. Learn more.
Creating your private notes account
- Launch the web app at app.standardnotes.com.
- Click Register to create your private notes account.
- Download Standard Notes on all your devices.
- You're all set to begin enjoying a new, more freeing notes life. Standard Notes comes out of the box with end-to-end encrypted sync on all your devices.
If you're looking to power up your experience with extensions, and help support future development, learn more about our paid plans. Our paid plans offer:
- Powerful editors, including the Plus Editor, Simple Markdown, Advanced Markdown, Code Editor, Vim Editor, and the popular Simple Task Editor.
- Beautiful themes to help you find inspiration in any mood, like Midnight, Focused, Futura, Titanium, and Solarized Dark.
- Powerful data care options, including daily encrypted backups delivered directly to your email inbox, as well as automated Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive backups. You'll also be able to configure two-factor authentication to add an additional layer of security to your account.
- Productivity-enhancing components like Folders, Autocomplete Tags, the ever-handy Action Bar, and GitHub Push.
Publish a Blog
It's no secret we love to write. Standard Notes has become a dependable environment to do your most important work, and this includes publishing your ideas to the world. That's why we created Listed. Listed allows you to create an online publication with automatic email newsletters delivered to your readers, directly from Standard Notes.
Developers can create and publish their own extensions. Visit the documentation hub to learn more.
Questions? Find answers on our Help page.
Docker is the quick and easy way to try out Standard Notes. We highly recommend using our official Docker hub image.
Before you start make sure you have a
.env file copied from the sample
.env.sample and configured with your parameters.
If your intention is not contributing but just running the app we recommend using our official image from Docker hub like this:
docker run -d -p 3001:3001 --env-file=your-env-file standardnotes/web:stable
Or if you want to use the
develop branch that is in a work-in-progress state please use:
docker run -d -p 3001:3001 --env-file=your-env-file standardnotes/web:latest
You can then access the app at
http://localhost:3001 (please check Docker container logs if the server has started already and is listening on connections).
This repo contains the core code used in the web app, as well as the Electron-based desktop application.
- Ensure you have Yarn installed
- Clone the repo
Then open your browser to
You can also set the
DEFAULT_SYNC_SERVER environment variable to set the default server for login and registration.
- Desktop app: https://github.com/standardnotes/desktop
- Mobile (iOS & Android): https://github.com/standardnotes/mobile
- Extensions: https://github.com/sn-extensions
For contributing we highly recommend you use our docker-compose setup that is provided in this repository.
Docker compose setup
Use the included [docker-compose.yml](docker-compose.yml) file to build Standard Notes with
docker-compose. Once your
.env file has been copied and configured, simply run:
docker-compose up -d
This should load the app container and run the necessary scripts. You should then be able to reach the app at
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Standard Notes README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.