🚀 The last 2 years of work towards the next version of Stretto have culminated in a website I'm proud to release as version 2.0.
⬆️ The new website has an upgrader so you can export your old Stretto libraries as JSON and it will automatically re-find your tracks as youtube or soundcloud items.
🆓 This new website behaves quite differently to the old version, instead of maintaining copies of all your local media files, it simply backs every track with a youtube or soundcloud song and plays it transparently through an iframe. Think of it as a way to let youtube and soundcloud host your music for you free of charge.
Some key features it is launching with are:
- Chart discovery, find new music from the top charts of iTunes and Spotify
- Import from Spotify
- Automatic lyric fetching
- 👍 A basic Android app (supports loading your library and playing songs at this point, no offline caching yet)
- 🆓 Completely free and hosted by me so you don't have to!
- switch to using unsplash images for missing cover art
- ➕ add youtube search functionality to search bar (now you can find any song!*)
- download youtube downloading on systems without ffmpeg (downloads ffmpeg the first time the player launches if it can't be found)
- ➕ add linux ARM support
*cross-references with iTunes for info, so has to be on both iTunes and youtube
- 🐧 playlist downloading working (at least on Linux electron build)
- 🏗 (dev change) automated build process
- 🛠 Minor fixes
- 🛠 Playlist downloading fixed
- Global keyboard shortcuts (play/pause, next, previous) now work
- ⚡️ Now using user app configuration directory to store databases and covers, this means the binary can now be updated independently of the app settings
- 👀 Other minor fixes, see changelog
📇 Recommending all users to update to this new version so they do not have to manually rescan their library again later. Please make sure all metadata changed is written to files (select songs, right click -> write metadata to file) before upgrading so you don't lose any metadata.
🚀 This release is mainly a rebrand from the old "Node Music Player" to the new "Stretto" name.
🛠 Also included are a few playlist bugfixes affecting new installations (i.e. when you download a youtube track and there isn't yet a youtube playlist)
🚀 This release contains the initial binaries for all platforms using Electron to run the music player in an isolated window.
👯 These binaries are mainly targeted at users wishing to try out Node Music Player. If you are a developer wishing to contribute, please clone from source following the instructions in the README.