Dnote alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Note-taking and Editors" category
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Dnote or a related project?
Dnote is a lightweight personal knowledge base for programmers. The main design goal is to keep you focused by providing a way of swiftly capturing new information without having to switch environment. To that end, you can use Dnote as a command-line interface, browser extension, web client, or an IDE plugin.
It also offers a seamless multi-device sync, and automated spaced repetition to retain your memory. For more information, please see features.
[A demo of Dnote command line interface](assets/cli.gif "Dnote command line interface")
The quickest way to try Dnote is to use the hosted version at https://app.getdnote.com
[Dnote web application running on various devices](assets/devices.png "Dnote web application running on various devices")
You can use the following client programs to interact with Dnote:
For the installation guide, please see the download page.
What is a personal knowledge base?
A personal knowledge base is a tool used to capture the knowledge of an individual and retrieve it later.
Dnote is great for building a personal knowledge base because:
- It is fully open-source.
- You own your data locally using a SQLite format which is suitable for continued accessibility.
- It provides a way of instantly capturing new lessons without distracting you.
- It automates spaced repetition to help you retain your memory.
You can read more in the following user stories:
- How I Built a Personal Knowledge Base for Myself
- I Wrote Down Everything I Learned While Programming for a Month