Zalenium alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "IDE/Tools" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Zalenium or a related project?
This is a Selenium Grid extension to scale your local grid dynamically with docker containers. It uses docker-selenium to run your tests in Firefox and Chrome locally, if you need a different browser, your tests can get redirected to a cloud testing provider (Sauce Labs, BrowserStack, TestingBot, CrossBrowserTesting, LambdaTest). Zalenium also works out of the box in Kubernetes.
Zalenium's maintainers add new features regularly. We invite you to test it, report bugs, suggest any ideas you may have, and contribute. See our contributing guidelines for more details.
Thanks for open sourcing this. Our test suite run time has dropped from more than an hour to six minutes. — @TKueck
We know how complicated it is to:
- Have a stable grid to run UI tests with Selenium
- Maintain it over time (keep up with new browser, Selenium and drivers versions)
- Provide capabilities to cover all browsers and platforms
That is why we took this approach where docker-selenium nodes are created on demand. Your UI tests in Firefox and Chrome will run faster because they are running on a local grid, on a node created from scratch and disposed after the test completes.
Zalenium's main goal is: to allow anyone to have a disposable and flexible Selenium Grid infrastructure.
Part of the idea comes from this Sauce Labs post.
What does Zalenium mean?
As you can imagine, it is the result of mixing Zalando and Selenium. As mentioned before, this project's aim is to provide a simple way to create a grid and contribute to the Selenium community. Nevertheless, this is not an official Selenium project. We kindly ask you to create issues in this repository. If you have questions about how to get started, please join the #zalenium channel on Slack.
- Docker engine running, version >= 1.11.1 (probably works with earlier versions, not tested yet).
Make sure your docker daemon is running (e.g.
docker infoworks without errors).
Pull the docker-selenium image.
docker pull elgalu/selenium
docker pull dosel/zalenium
- Zalenium uses docker to scale on-demand, therefore we need to give it the
docker.sockfull access, this is known as "Docker alongside docker".
# Pull docker-selenium docker pull elgalu/selenium # Pull Zalenium docker pull dosel/zalenium docker run --rm -ti --name zalenium -p 4444:4444 \ -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \ -v /tmp/videos:/home/seluser/videos \ --privileged dosel/zalenium start
--privileged? We suggest you run Zalenium as
--privilegedto speed up the node registration process by increasing the entropy level with Haveged. Using
--privilegedis optional since it is just meant to improve its performance. For more information, check this tutorial.
- Try also our one line installer and starter for OSX/Linux (it will check for the latest images and ask for missing dependencies.)
curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dosel/t/i/p | bash -s start
- More usage examples, parameters, configurations, video usage and one line starters can be seen here
- After the output, you can check the grid console
- Now you can point your Selenium tests to http://localhost:4444/wd/hub
- Stop it:
docker stop zalenium
- Dashboard, see all the videos and aggregated logs after your tests completed.
Live preview of your running tests http://localhost:4444/grid/admin/live
Video recording, check them in the
/tmp/videosfolder (or the one you mapped when starting Zalenium)
Customise video file naming via capabilities, basic auth and more
Check the complete documentation at https://zalando.github.io/zalenium/
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Zalenium README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.