Centrifugo alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Custom" category.
Alternatively, view Centrifugo alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Centrifugo or a related project?
Centrifugo is a scalable real-time messaging server in language-agnostic way. Centrifugo works in conjunction with application backend written in any programming language. It runs as separate service and keeps persistent Websocket or SockJS connections from application clients (from web browsers or other environments like iOS/Android apps). When you need to deliver an event to your clients in real-time you publish it to Centrifugo API and Centrifugo then broadcasts event to all connected clients interested in this event (i.e. clients subscribed on event channel). In other words – this is a user-facing PUB/SUB server.
For more information follow to Centrifugo documentation site.
You can also find the following posts interesting:
- Four years in Centrifuge – this is a story and motivation of Centrifugo
- Building real-time messaging server in Go – this is a write-up about some Centrifugo internals and decisions
How to install
See installation instructions in Centrifugo documentation.
Try our demo instance on Heroku (admin password is
password, token_hmac_secret_key is
secret, API key is
api_key). Or deploy your own Centrifugo instance in one click:
- Centrifugo is fast and capable to scale to millions of simultaneous connections
- Simple integration with any application – works as separate service
- Simple server API (HTTP or GRPC)
- Client-side libraries for popular frontend environments
- JSON and binary Protobuf Websocket client protocol based on strict schema
- SockJS polyfill for web browsers without Websocket support
- User authentication with JWT or over connection request proxy to configured HTTP endpoint
- Proper connection management and expiration control
- Various types of channels: private, user-limited
- Various types of subscriptions: client-side or server-side
- Transform RPC calls over WebSocket/SockJS to configured HTTP endpoint call
- Presence information for channels (show all active clients in channel)
- History information for channels (last messages published into channel)
- Join/leave events for channels (client goes online/offline)
- Automatic recovery of missed messages between client reconnects over configured retention period
- Built-in administrative web panel
- Cross platform – works on Linux, MacOS and Windows
- Ready to deploy (Docker, RPM/DEB packages, automatic Let's Encrypt TLS certificates, Prometheus/Graphite monitoring)
- MIT license
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Centrifugo README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.