FreshRSS alternatives and similar software solutions
Based on the "Feed Readers" category.
Alternatively, view FreshRSS alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
7.1 9.1 L3 FreshRSS VS Selfossmultipurpose rss reader, live stream, mashup, aggregation web application
4.3 1.9 FreshRSS VS Sismics ReaderFree and open source feeds reader, including all major Google Reader features
3.3 2.9 L1 FreshRSS VS LeedLeed (contraction de Light Feed) est un agrégateur RSS libre et minimaliste qui permet la consultation de flux RSS de manière rapide et non intrusive.
1.6 0.0 L5 FreshRSS VS gritttt-rssImplements 'cancelled' sharing-features of Google Reader for the excellent open-source RSS-Reader TinyTiny-RSS: share any page on the web via a bookmarklet and show your shared items in a widget on any website you want. Also allow to import shared&starred articles from Google Reader.
1.5 8.2 FreshRSS VS html2rss-web🕸 Generates and delivers RSS feeds via HTTP. Create your own feeds or get started quickly with the included configs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of FreshRSS or a related project?
- Read this document on github.com/FreshRSS/FreshRSS/ to get the correct links and pictures.
- [Version française](README.fr.md)
It is lightweight, easy to work with, powerful, and customizable.
It is a multi-user application with an anonymous reading mode. It supports custom tags. There is an API for (mobile) clients, and a [Command-Line Interface](cli/README.md).
Thanks to the WebSub standard (formerly PubSubHubbub), FreshRSS is able to receive instant push notifications from compatible sources, such as Mastodon, Friendica, WordPress, Blogger, FeedBurner, etc.
FreshRSS natively supports basic Web scraping, based on XPath, for Web sites not providing any RSS / Atom feed.
Finally, it supports extensions for further tuning.
Feature requests, bug reports, and other contributions are welcome. The best way to contribute is to open an issue on GitHub. We are a friendly community.
FreshRSS comes with absolutely no warranty.
- User documentation, where you can discover all the possibilities offered by FreshRSS
- Administrator documentation for detailed installation and maintenance related tasks
- Developer documentation to guide you in the source code of FreshRSS and to help you if you want to contribute
- Contributor guidelines for those who want to help improve FreshRSS
- A recent browser like Firefox / IceCat, Edge, Chromium / Chrome, Opera, Safari.
- Works on mobile (except a few features)
- Light server running Linux or Windows
- It even works on Raspberry Pi 1 with response time under a second (tested with 150 feeds, 22k articles)
- A web server: Apache2 (recommended), nginx, lighttpd (not tested on others)
- PHP 7.0+
- Required extensions: cURL, DOM, JSON, XML, session, ctype, and PDO_MySQL or PDO_SQLite or PDO_PGSQL
- Recommended extensions: GMP (for API access on 32-bit platforms), IDN (for Internationalized Domain Names), mbstring (for Unicode strings), iconv (for charset conversion), ZIP (for import/export), zlib (for compressed feeds)
- MySQL 5.5.3+ or MariaDB equivalent, or SQLite 3.7.4+, or PostgreSQL 9.5+
The latest stable release can be found here. New versions are released every two to three months.
If you want a rolling release with the newest features, or want to help testing or developing the next stable version, you can use the
- Get FreshRSS with git or by downloading the archive
- Put the application somewhere on your server (expose only the
./p/folder to the Web)
- Add write access to the
./data/folder for the webserver user
- Access FreshRSS with your browser and follow the installation process
- or use the [Command-Line Interface](cli/README.md)
- Everything should be working :) If you encounter any problems, feel free to contact us.
- Advanced configuration settings can be found in [config.default.php](config.default.php) and modified in
- When using Apache, enable
AllowEncodedSlashesfor better compatibility with mobile clients.
More detailed information about installation and server configuration can be found in our documentation.
- For better security, expose only the
./p/folder to the Web.
- Be aware that the
./data/folder contains all personal data, so it is a bad idea to expose it.
- Be aware that the
./constants.phpfile defines access to the application folder. If you want to customize your installation, look here first.
- If you encounter any problem, logs are accessible from the interface or manually in
- The special folder
./data/users/_/contains the part of the logs that are shared by all users.
- The special folder
- The date and time in the right-hand column is the date declared by the feed, not the time at which the article was received by FreshRSS, and it is not used for sorting.
- In particular, when importing a new feed, all of its articles will appear at the top of the feed list regardless of their declared date.
FreshRSS supports further customizations by adding extensions on top of its core functionality. See the repository dedicated to those extensions.
APIs & native apps
|App||Platform||Free Software||Maintained & Developed||API||Works offline||Fast sync||Fetch more in individual views||Fetch read articles||Favourites||Labels||Podcasts||Manage feeds|
|News+ with Google Reader extension||Android||Partially||2015||GReader||✔️||⭐⭐⭐||✔️||✔️||✔️||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|RSS Guard||Windows, GNU/Linux, macOS, OS/2||✔️||✔️✔️||GReader||✔️||⭐||➖||✔️||✔️||✔️||✔️||➖|
|ChristopheHenry||Android||✔️||Work in progress||GReader||✔️||⭐⭐||➖||✔️||✔️||➖||➖||➖|
|Fluent Reader||Windows, Linux, macOS||✔️||✔️✔️||Fever||✔️||⭐||➖||✔️||✔️||➖||➖||➖|
|NewsFlash||GNU/Linux||✔️||Work in Progress||GReader||➖||❔||❔||❔||❔||❔||➖||❔|
|Newsboat 2.24+||GNU/Linux, macOS, FreeBSD||✔️||✔️✔️||GReader||➖||⭐||➖||✔️||✔️||➖||✔️||➖|
|Reeder*||iOS, macOS||➖||✔️✔️||GReader, Fever||✔️||⭐⭐⭐||➖||✔️||✔️||➖||➖||✔️|
|Netnewswire||iOS, macOS||✔️||Work in progress||GReader||✔️||❔||❔||❔||✔️||➖||❔||✔️|
* Install and enable the GReader Redate extension to have the correct publication date for feed articles if you are using Reeder or FeedMe.
Only for some options or configurations
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the FreshRSS README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.